Governing Bodies for Paddlesports in the UK
White Water Centers in England and Wales
Artificial white water courses are a great way to get into kayaking, with coaching, equipment hire, and safety often available. Find one near you and get on the water!
National White Water Center, Tryweryn, North Wales
Lee Valley White Water Center, Hertfordshire
Cardiff International White Water, Cardiff
Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham
Nene White Water Center, Northampton
Tees Barrage International White Water Centre, Stockton on Tees
Other Charities and Organisations
We are not directly involved with all of the organisations listed below, but believe they do important work and we want to share it.
Save our Rivers work to protect rivers in the UK and beyond from damaging developments and loss of legal protection. Check out their website and Facebook page for more details and info on how to get involved.
Rivers Trust are a group of environmental charities in the UK and Ireland who aim to protect river environments for people and wildlife. For more information take a look at their website and Facebook page.
Good Night Out Campaign train and support nightlife organisations to better understand, respond to, and prevent sexual harassment and assault through their accreditation programme. River Legacy is proud to say that we completed the training in September 2020 and are an accredited GNO organisation. There’s more information available on their website and you can follow them on Instagram and Facebook.
Diversity in the Outdoors
Following the Black Lives Matter protests in summer 2020 River Legacy feel that we have a social responsibility to use our platform to tackle racism and promote inclusivity within kayaking, to allow everyone to enjoy the sport and flourish. A small part of that is educating ourselves and others, so we’ve included some reading here, mostly from a UK perspective, about racism and diversity in the outdoors.
- Why the Outdoors has a race problem and how it can be fixed, Phil Young for Mpora
- Diversity in the Outdoors, The Outward Bound Trust
- Books about race in the UK and the outdoors, Soraya Abdel-Hadi’s blog
- Diversity and my outdoors, Soraya Abdel-Hadi’s blog
- Resources for the Outdoor Community, Natalie Berry for UK Hill Walkling
- The Melanin Base Camp Guide to Outdoor Allyship, Danielle Williams for Melanin Base Camp
- 30 organisations that are working to make the outdoors more inclusive, Jack Clayton for Mpora
- Outside Voices, Podcast with Sarah Shimazaki
Team River Legacy
Check out our Team River Legacy paddlers below, an incredible group who kayak all over the world. We’re very lucky to have a team of likeminded kayakers who support our work to get people on the water. They keep us up to date on their adventures and help promote River Legacy events.